2011-03-30

Grandmothers

My grandfather passed away when I was in primary school, but I remember him well for he was a very straight man but kind to the ladies, he always dressed nicely- not only ironed all the clothing but also  shining the shoes neatly all the time, and I knew I had three grandmothers.
According to my father, the one who gave birth of him was a lady with surname Ho. My father never got the chance to see his mother as she passed away when my father was a baby - so sad!

I believe this should be the elder grandmother.

The second grandmother was the one who took care of my father when he was a kid - she had a family name of Chan, she didn't have her own child and she spoiled my father a lot and she did every simple thing for my father.

When my grandfather passed away, grandmother Chan chose to settle down in HK. She came to visit us once in a while, however she didn't have good relationship with my mom.

Sometimes she sent us food and cloths by the assistant who worked in the HK-Macau Ferry. I still remember that man, as whenever he arrived our home that meant I had gifts from grandmother Chan.

When I finished my high school study, I liked to visit grandmother Chan because I could spend the weekends there, browsing around and staying in her house in Causeway Bay.

Didn't know when, I reduced my time to visit her as I occupied with the studies and social life.

By the time I knew she moved to the elderly home in Kowloon, I went to visit her few times, but she would always treated me like kids and told me be careful and no need to spend time to visit. At that time, I was very sorry that for an old woman to be alone in an elderly home, the place was crowded and not very nice.

Later on, she moved in an elderly home in Cheung Chau where the air and the environment is nicer, but my traffic time to there was longer, I went there 2-3 times before she died.

Now her cemetery is still in HK (while my grandfather's is in Taipa, I am thinking should they be reunited?), and my father always asks me to take him to pay a respect once in a while.

The third grandmother (Leung) was a lady whom my mother liked to visit her very often. However, even though she lived in Macau, I didn't know exactly where she lived as she moved very often.

According to my mom, she smoked a lot (not only cigarettes, but also.....I didn't know what) and gambled. She had a beautiful daughter with my grandfather, but she made her young daughter to marry an old business man as a incumbent in HK, in return, this grandmother could secure her future life - my grandfather had no objection on this! - I always think that my aunt should have a better husband, but later on, I know that grandmother was intelligent, she was correct, my aunt had a very luxury life as she successfully gave birth 2 sons and 2 daughters.

I didn't have a strong feeling to this grandmother, but it seemed to me the two grandmothers never been together! I can tell that both women were very pretty when they were young, for they wore make-up and dressed elegantly.  They should be attractive women !

They were pretty, skinny, and humble to be the women of my grandfather!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.