2011-01-25

23 rd of December (Lunar Calendar)

Father reminds me tomorrow will be the date for thanking the Kitchen God (謝灶君), in doing so, he has bought some sweets for offering the Kitchen God - rice crackers, tangerines, cane sugar (通米,桔,蔗糖).

Actually, on my way home in the evening, I also saw a small notice in a small shop in the wet market, reminding people to buy the sweet stuffs.

I remember when I was small, my mother told me the story - there were two dates to thank the Kitchen God, 23rd and 24th, the 23rd was for the high officials, while the 24th was for the general public, but as time passed, people would like to consider them as higher status, they would like to offer the nice food to the Kitchen God on the 23rd day of December.

Before that date, mother would work very hard to clean the kitchen, made sure the Kitchen God was nice, comfortable and happy with our kitchen.

I like the sweet rice cracker, though I didn't eat it very often. Can't remember when did I try it, many years ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.