1. May I (do something)?
a. May I come in, please?
b. May I use your phone?
c. May I help myself with some more food?
d. May I have your attention, ladies and gentlemen?
2. Do you think you/ I could (do something)?
a. Do you think I could send the client our proposal after the Easter holiday
b.Do you think you could possibly turn that music down a little, please?
3. Is it all right if you/ I (do something)?
a. Is it all right if I go to make a quick phone call
b.Is it all right if you come back in a minute?
同事徵求你的同意或請你幫忙時，如果你幫不了他們，又或者你不同意，那麼在回答時最好能說出原因，讓人感到你真的是無能為力、愛莫能助。大家不妨試用這個非常普遍的句式“I’m sorry, but…”
- I’m sorry, but my spelling is terrible.
- I’m sorry, but you’re not allowed to smoke here.
- I’m sorry, but I have to go now to pick up my kid.