Personal Journeys
By NICHOLAS KULISH

I knocked and knocked on the door to the artist’s studio, beside the plastic logo of a painter’s palette. It had been so hard to find the address of this musty commercial building on Hong Kong’s Wyndham Street, I was beginning to think it was time to give up on finding my old friend Ng Tak Tung there.
In 1997, just a few days after my college graduation, I moved alone to this island in the South China Sea to work at a business magazine. Much had been made of the British handing over control of their colony to the Chinese, which for many marked the symbolic end of an empire and an era. I wanted a little history, a little adventure and a little excitement, and ended up with more of all three than I was prepared to handle.

From the deck of a rented junk bobbing off Stanley Beach, I watched teams of men and women furiously paddle their brightly painted dragon boats, the carved wooden heads, teeth bared, jutting from the prows. I reported from a demonstration for the first time, a candlelight vigil in Victoria Park with tens of thousands of participants to honor the democracy protesters slain at Tiananmen Square eight years before.

A few weeks after that, I sat in a tiny storefront bar festooned with Christmas lights and watched a television news report showing that, just before dawn, armored personnel carriers brought Chinese troops over the border from Shenzhen. That same weekend, at the red-and-white brick Foreign Correspondents’ Club, a giant of a man in muddy black tuxedo pants and an untucked pleated shirt head-butted me because the bar was closed and he couldn’t get a drink.

And I had a darts partner from the Chinese island of Hainan, a painter who spoke as little English as I did Hainanese, which is to say none. But Tak Tung and I became unlikely friends at the dive bar across from my office on Hollywood Road, the Globe. He had a knack — confounding the Britons we defeated — for missing the easy throws and then hitting the bull’s-eye with improbable consistency.

Since our words flew unintelligibly past each other, we communicated by drawing on napkins and beer coasters. We sketched the people we knew. We drew maps, of Hong Kong and China, of the world, of boats and airplanes and the dotted lines that described our respective journeys.

The last time Tak Tung and I saw each other, he invited me back to his studio. He picked up the phone (a landline, of course) and dialed a number and handed the receiver to me. A woman was on the other end — his wife. She said she was in the hospital and that her husband was having a difficult time because of her illness. He wanted me to know it meant a lot to him to have me as a friend.
Soon after, I left that part of the world. It was long before Facebook. A lot of people didn’t even have email addresses yet. And when you made a broke, disorderly retreat from a city as I did, you lost touch with most of your friends half a world away.

Now two decades on, the only relic I had of Tak Tung was a small reproduction of a painting he had made of a bar scene in the Lan Kwai Fong night-life district. As I prepared to return for the first time since the autumn of 1997, I searched online and found only a painting of wine bottles sold at Christie’s a decade earlier and an ancient-looking website for an art school with the purple-palette logo I had come to stand beside now. No one answered my knocking.

He could have moved back to the mainland, emigrated to the West or, for all I knew, passed away. As a last-ditch effort, I took out a business card and scribbled on the back that I was in town and to please call or write. That is, I added, if he even remembered me. I slid the card under the locked door to his darkened studio and left.