2011-06-03

Rice Dumplings

Dragon Boat festival is around,
when I pass by the eating shop,
I can see the shop owners make the rice dumpling for selling.

It reminds me that my mother used to home-made our own rice dumplings for the festival when she was still healthy many years ago,
I never made any of them before,
but I know there are a lot of preparation work,
from shopping for ingredients,
to preparing for the cooking,
like soaking the bamboo leaves, beans, rice,
to seasoning the meat,
wrapping them,
and steaming them for hours,
all of them take time and patience.

But I can conclude,
the home-made rice dumplings are more healthy,
with less fatten oil,
and the cost of making them at home is very cheap -
privided one have plenty of time.

By the time,
my mother did't work outside,
so her cost was minimum,
therefore we saved a lot of money of eating a lot of rice dumplings
- not only for the traditional lunch,
but for our breakfast too.

We used to have traditional lunch of rice dumplings and the five beans sweet soup -
now, I try to keep this tradition for many years -
to be honest,
if I have time,
I think I can make them too ( take several times of try and error though!) ,
however, considering the opportunity cost of making them,
I would just buy the rice dumplings outside
- it is easier and cheaper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.