2010-01-30

From Macau to Berea

When I got the acceptance letter, I went to reserve the plane ticket from HK (Kai Tak airport) to Berea, so that I could inform the college my arrival time. I had limited information for I knew no one in Berea nor any information I could get from the library.

I knew Berea only by chance. I knew it should be the one I wanted to go, thus I wrote and apply.

I knew it was a small town, a small college, and it was about 140 acres. The college told me that the nearest airport was Lexington, KY.

At that time, we didn't have Internet, and I had difficulties to image where and how was Berea. Now, it is totally different, one can get plenty of information over Internet.

Go back to my story, in that spring, I applied for my FI student visa, and went to the travel agency for the plane ticket, I told them my expected date to Lexington, they searched over their system, and told me that I needed to take several connecting flights and different airlines - something like that.

I was not smart enough at that time, as I booked a single trip ticket, thinking that I would not come back, only after I finished my four years study (single ticket is relatively expensive than a return ticket, I learned it later, I can use the return ticket in one year time or so).

My first time to Berea was really adventures - I had two big pieces of luggage, two friends and my brother helped me to take the luggage to the Macau Ferry Terminal, than S accompanied me to the HK airport, it was a night trip, as my flight was 8 in the morning.

During the night, the airport was quite slow, it was the last day of August.

My first stop was Tokyo, however due to some reasons, it was delayed. I got some hints from a HK lady who sat next to me in the cabin from HK to Tokyo, for my college study, as we were both heading to US for further education, though our final destinations were different.

I lined up to the counter in Tokyo and looked for assistance, but the staff was busy, and her English was terrible - that 's why my first impression to Japan was not good.

As the flight was delayed, I needed to get my lunch in Tokyo airport - it was very expensive, for a poor student !!

After long waiting, I successfully got my way to the flight to US, then I was told that I needed to get all my luggage to pass the custom and went to the gate with the luggage for the fly - I was a little bit scared, I was late, I might not catch the original flight, because I wasted the time in Tokyo.

Still, I need to try, otherwise, I couldn't image what my first night in a strange city, and I didn't know whether the college staff would locate and wait for me!!

Back to the cabin, other than my expectation, it was not full, later, I knew that most of the college students went back in earlier time, not until the end of the vacation time.

I was lucky, I had one couple sat next to me, they talked to me a little bit, and told me later that they could got their seats upgraded, thus I could use their space and sleep - it was really a good experience - sleep like business class by occupying three seats for my first lonely long trip flight !!

Time passed, I eventually arrived Chicago airport.

Follow the crowds, I checked my luggage, unfortunately, I lost one, and the airport staff told me that they would send me once they located it.

No choice, I carried my only piece of luggage, and lined up in the custom.

It was a long line, I explained to the people in front, telling them I had a flight waiting for me. Very nice people, they let me go before them, and therefore, I could go straight to the immigrant officer.

The officer checked my passport, the F1 Visa as well as my I20 document, he asked me questions, and I answered, he wished me good luck for my study.

Then, I tried to locate the place and the gate for the flight to Lexington.

On my way, I tried to ask the airport staff for assistance, and they did help me to reach there.

The plane was a small plane, around 30-40 passengers ( in later year, I also got the chance to fly with a plane with only 8-12 seats in US).

I was the last one to enter the plane, only few seconds, the plane left for Lexington immediately.

I was kind of exhausted by my first stop to US - taking care of this and that. Lost one piece of luggage, but finally, I could make-up the time.

Though some unexpected things happened, I could still overcome.

It was really like a small challenge.

At that time, I knew that the road in front may not be easy, but I need to solve all kinds of problems, by MYSELF, this was my choice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.