2010-07-15

Mathematics Teaching Associate

It was my sophore and junior year, I worked in the Math. Department as a TA.

The instructor I worked with was L. She grew up in Berea as she was the eldest daughter of Professor S.

By that time, she had just finished her Master degree in the other University and she went home and took the teaching position for 1-2 years before taking her PHD.

She was very kind and responsible to all the students, and the students considered her as big sister! Many students liked to stop by her office for discussions or questions.

L was a pretty hardworking instructor, she knew that Math. students need to solve more problems to master the skills.

At the beginning, she also worked out the solution sheet for me ! Later on, she knew that I could mange by myself as the assignments were not difficult at all.

I usually stopped by her office to pick up my work after my classes, then, I graded the work and returned to her the next day, as I knew feedback was important for her to give the next lessons.

My working hours was very flexible, most of the time I just stayed in my room to grade the finite/Pre-Calculus homework/quizzes/tests. However, I also needed to go to the Math Lab on Monday night to help the students on their lessons/assignments.

There was another TA in the Lab and we worked together. Usually, there were not many students showed up, and we could also use the time to do some reading.

Basically, I enjoyed grading students 's HW as I like solving problems. By checking their work, I could see the students' logic on reaching the result, I also confirmed their steps and their reasoning.

I also liked to comment by writing down the better solution for their understanding or encouraged them to revise the lessons or go to Math Lab or the instructor for assistance :)

At the end of the semester, I was happy to see many students got good grades for the exams, though I only knew their names but not the persons !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.