2010-12-11

White Christmas In W. Virginia

In my sophomore year, I was invited by my roommate J to go to her house to spend the Christmas, it was really a very good Christmas for me, peaceful and enjoyable.

It was a long drive from Berea to W. Virgina, it took more than 5 hours, and she lived in a suburban area, far away from the city, her house was in the hill side, with a lot of snow covering the trees and the grasses, it was really a white Christmas for me.

After back home, we needed to clean the house, and  then, three of us went to the hill to cut  a tree for the Christmas tree.

There were plenty of trees in the hill for us to choose, I was amazed of living in the country side - no people, fresh air, but without a car, I could not even buy any groceries.

We were very busy, as by the time we went home, there were not much time left, we also needed to do the Christmas shopping - for food and for gifts.

I enjoyed the shopping trip very much, as in Berea, I could only go to Wal-Mart.  In her home place,  there were a lot of large malls and places to do.

Even though in the mall, there were a lot of people - doing the same thing, choosing gifts for friends and love ones, I enjoyed the atmosphere very much.

During the holiday, J also introduced me to her best friends, to the church and to her sister-in-law's family, it was really a cultural learning, while I could see and learn more then the course work. We did cooking, and she also taught me the needle work - I successfully made some needle works first for my life time!!

For the Christmas presents, I couldn't remember what I bought for J and her family members, but I remember very well that I got a lot of gifts from them, for Asian, we buy one gift for each person, but J - I didn't know whether it was her tradition or the cultures, she bought several for each persons, thus, there were plenty of gifts under the Christmas tress.

So lovely - as J was my roommate and she knew me well, she got the things I needed most, silk scarf, gloves, stockings.... wonderful presents, I really couldn't thank her enough, she really gave me a very unforgettable Christmas.

Though I know her finance was not very sound, she was so generous  inviting me to join her family gathering, and let me experience the warm Christmas, I really appreciated a lot of her kindness.

I also enjoyed her traditional Christmas breakfast and big dinner - the big Turkey with cranberry sauce, the great dessert..... - she did everything for her family members, and I also took the advantage of enjoying it, for me, she really liked a dear aunt for me.

One thing I  regretted the most, I know she had a collection on bells, and the time when I was travelling in Paris, I bought her one beautiful bell, and planned to offer her when I visited her.

The bad news from E few months later, J passed away because of a family inherited disease, she died in her early age.  I was very regretted that I didn't get the chance to see her after my graduation, we only talked IDD for few time.

Still, I always miss her a lot. especially in the Christmas season!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.