2010-02-13

What a Bank !!! Unforgetable memories!

Living in a new environment, the first few things to do are to create your own identity, like the official government paper, and the opening of bank account. Therefore, obtaining a college ID, social security card as well as opening a bank account were the priority things to do when I first arrived Berea. 

One unpleasant incident happened to me when I first arrived Bera - it was related to my bank account. With my money, I bought a bank draft for my living and college expenditures to US, therefore after settling down, I needed to deposit my money and open an account. 

I went to one of the banks in campus to deposit the draft and open a bank account, as well as applying for a ATM card, since I could withdraw money from the machine anytime in campus. However, when I first received the bank statement, I discovered that there were several debit transactions. 

Actually, I didn't lose my card nor I had made any transactions through the ATM. I went to the bank and told them what had happened to my account. The bank said they would investigate. Later, they told me that the record shown that the transactions were made with the ATM machine on campus. I didn't accept the findings; at the same time, I asked for the updated balance of the account, there were still several debits indicating that there were several ATM withdrawals since the last bank statement. 

The bank staff said strongly that I had made the transactions - at that time, my English was not so good, and I went to the bank by myself - I was really in a weak position. I just couldn't believe that, because if they didn't take any appropriate action, the money in my bank account would become less and less - that was what I worried at that time, for I was NEW there. 

At the same time, I told my roommate, she had already told me to inform the college's International Student Advisor, to seek for his advice and assistance. 

With the disappointed findings, I visited him again, and told him the new situation. 

At the beginning, it seems that he had doubts too, for he said that the bank would not make mistakes(at that time, I was new in Berea, and nobody knew me, where was my trust??? 

They thought that I might forget or something did happen. This was my impression.)

 I requested them immediately freeze my account (otherwise, all my money would gone), and I told them I would like to report to the police and asked them to investigate the whole process. 

I wanted to defence myself!! For I was alone and be an independent person in the town. Then, the bank told me they would investigate again. 

After few days, I received a letter from the bank, apologising for the happening, and they gave me USD20 for compensation , which caused my worries and inconvenience. But they didn't tell me the truth.

 From that day, I learned that I should not trust the big company/organisation for granted, something may happen!!! I still keep the letter from the bank - this is a proof of what they did to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.