2009-11-20

Chestnut - Largo de Senado

In the cold Friday evening, walk out of my office and head to the food market.

It is very seldom, there is a long line ( over 15 people ) waiting nicely in front of the chestnut hawker. I think there should be some visitors (Grand Prix week), for usually, there are only few customers waiting. We don't need to have such a long and NEAT line. ( One comment - nowadays, I think most Macaneses are observing the rule of line-up, such as in the bank or waiting for free newspapers, but I am still looking forward for the people line-up for the transportation.)

I remember I saw this hawker since I was small, it is located besides of Turismo Office, facing the fountain and the Post office in Central.

The stand is small, two persons work over there, to fry the sweet chestnuts. Long time ago, they manually fried the chestnuts, but now I can see they use the machines, but it still needs time to get them ready.

It only opens during winter time, but I think the business is good, for it is almost monopoly, due to the licence and the good location.

Furthermore, it is like part of our tradition, cold weather with hot sweet chestnut, so warm !! Most of our old Macaneses know this warm street snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.