2009-11-02

2005 Dream Vacation Journal - 2

Orientation

May 28, 2005, Saturday


Wake up at 7 in the morning, orientation activity starts after 12, and I need to buy my own breakfast, I walk out by myself.

The neighbourhood is quiet. Not far away, there is an exhibition centre for selling clothes, and there are some hawkers for selling breakfast too. I can also see several restaurants, but from outside, I don’t know whether I should try. At last, I choose to buy instant noodles in a grocery store for my breakfast. Then, I decide to browse on Internet.

Training sessions start at noon time, and we have lunchbox in the classroom. At the beginning, each of us introduce him or herself. Talks are focused about farmer problems in rural area, and also some background information about Dream Corps.

I find out that my team leader is a guy from Shantung (born in 1982), however, I immediately find myself hard to talk with him, as his dialect is very strong and difficult to understand. At the same time, he expresses that he has a high expectation of our team, and he explains to us that the situation in the village would be bad, we would live in the local families. And we are leaving on Tuesday 7am by train to our destination village. The journey would be about 10 hours, he says we had a lot of work but the project may be adjusted according to the real situation, he suggests us to buy some necessary personal items, as we may not get them easily in the village.

After the training sessions, as I don’t know the other buddies, I go out to have dinner by myself – I see a famous noodles shops for “ old Beijing”, I order noodles, the portion is very huge, however the taste is so so. After the meal,….walk back to hostel, and buy myself water and biscuits for breakfast. I still do not have any roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

A tiny dust in the universe.